Tourism Ministry reverses Tulum mayor’s restrictions, re-opens free beach access 

hace 3 semanas 13

Less than 3 weeks aft the politician of the Caribbean edifice metropolis of Tulum imposed restrictions connected entree to nationalist beaches, the national authorities forged an statement re-establishing escaped entree for tourists and residents.

On Oct. 12, Mayor Diego Castañón had announced caller rules for visitors wishing to sunbathe connected the city’s beaches, lone 2 weeks aft helium said a free-access agreement had been hammered out.

sign for Jaguar Natipnal ParkOne of the features of the caller statement is the instauration of nationalist entree points adjacent wrong Jaguar Park, a protected area.
(Elizabeth Ruiz/Cuartoscuro.com)

While insisting helium was not suppressing the “free formation access” policy, his caller rules prohibited prospective visitors to Tulum’s turquoise waters from bringing food, drinks, coolers and umbrellas. Tourists were besides “encouraged” to marque purchases astatine the section businesses. 

Castañón insisted his extremity was to boost the city’s sagging economy, exacerbated by a crisp driblet successful edifice occupancy, and not to monetize the beaches. However, the measures efficaciously gave beachside hotels and restaurants power implicit who was granted access.

The absorption was swift. Visitors complained astir the added costs and the inconvenience. The outrage voiced connected societal media garnered important attention. 

Even President Claudia Sheinbaum waded into the fray, saying connected Oct. 16 that Mexico’s beaches “should not beryllium constricted to those with economical resources.”

Oddly enough, small attraction was drawn to the information that conscionable implicit 5 years ago, a measure guaranteeing escaped entree to each Mexican beaches was signed into law

Hotel owners were adjacent cautioned by the authorities that not lone bash they hazard fines of up to 1 cardinal pesos (US $53,700), but their properties besides could beryllium closed and demolished for restricting entree to nationalist beaches.

A fewer days aft Castañón’s Oct. 12 announcement, the national Tourism Ministry (Sectur) convened a Strategic Actions Coordination Committee for Tulum to code the concern which has been analyzable by the caller opening of Jaguar National Park

In summation to lookout towers, wood trails and a depository afloat of Maya artifacts, the recently created earthy reserve encompasses protected beaches, reducing the magnitude of coveted beach-front spot successful Tulum.

The committee — composed of local, authorities and national officials arsenic good arsenic tourism providers — met successful Mexico City but besides toured section sites successful Tulum and carried retired surveys.

On Tuesday, Tourism Minister Josefina Rodríguez said the nonsubjective to warrant escaped entree to Tulum’s beaches for Mexicans and foreigners year-round had been achieved.

One entree constituent was opened Wednesday and 2 caller nationalist entree points person been established successful the Hotel Zone. Additionally, Rodríguez said, nationalist entree points volition beryllium created wrong Jaguar National Park.

Finally, a new, unified pricing operation for visitors to Jaguar National Park and the Tulum Archaeological Zone — successful effect done December — should supply a boost to Tulum’s economy. 

With reports from El Financiero and Riviera Maya News

Leer el artículo completo